The traditional therapeutic healing practice referred to as Yoni Steam, Vagina Steam, Vagi-Steam, V-Steam or Bajos has been used for centuries by Korean and Central American cultures. It was most recently introduced to mainstream Western pop-culture as a result of the Vagi-Steam experience of actress Gwyneth Paltrow.
Yoni steams are really supportive in improving menstrual flow by helping to clear the womb of any stagnate old blood that remains. From an emotional and spiritual perspective, it is literally entering through your Root Chakra to cleanse.
Yoni steaming is a beautiful gentle self care ritual that opens and connects you to your womb, allowing your womb to be at the centre of your thoughts, bringing healing and love to the centre of a woman’s being.
The health benefits of yoni steaming are:
- Significantly reduce pain, bloating and exhaustion associated with menstruation.
- Decrease menstrual flow as well as reduce dark purple or brown blood at the onset or end of menses.
- Regulate irregular or absent menstrual cycles, especially combined with Abdominal Sacral Massage
- Increase fertility, especially when combined with Fertility Massage
- Speed healing and tone the reproductive system after birth.
- Treat uterine fibroids, ovarian cysts, uterine weakness, uterine prolapse and endometriosis.
- Assist with the repair of a vaginal tear, episiotomy or C-section scar.
- Assist with the healing of haemorrhoids.
- Treat chronic vaginal/yeast infections, and works to maintain healthy odour.
- Relieve symptoms of menopause.
- Detoxify the womb and remove toxins from the body.
How do Yoni Steams work?
A woman allows the steam from a pot with boiled water and herbs to reach the outer lips of her vagina. When the herbs are placed in the hot water, their medicinal properties, including volatile oils, are released and carried to the surface of your skin, and to the inside of the vagina, where they are absorbed into the bloodstream and into to the uterus.
The herbal steam increases circulation, thins mucus, and cleanses the entire reproductive system, allowing it to shed unnecessary membranes and build-up.
*There are many herbs that are great for vaginal steaming. Note that some of them can have adverse affects if you are pregnant, please check before trying.
How to do a Yoni Steam
To do a Yoni steam treatment you need a large double handful of any of fresh herbs to boil in a large pot that holds about two litres of water. If the herbs you are using are dry, you will need a single large handful to the same amount of water. Boil the herbs in the water for twenty minutes and remove from the heat.
Place the steaming pot of herbs on the floor and sit over the pot on a chair with holes or slats in the seat. Your body should be one or two feet above the steaming herbs. You should be naked from the waist down with a towel wrapped around your legs and waist to hold in the heat. You should remain in the chair absorbing the herbal steam into your vagina for twenty minutes. If you feel like it is burning you, remove the pot of herbs and let them cool for five minutes and replace.
Afterwards, one must be careful about exposure to cold drafts or sleeping in an air-conditioned room. You should keep warm after the steam bath. The ideal would be to go directly to bed and wrap up warmly for an hour. This will serve to strengthen the treatment and allow your body to process the healing effects of the Yoni steam bath. This can be performed at any time during your cycle, except for the 3 days prior to and during menstruation and may be repeated every month until improvement is realised.
**Do not use after ovulation if you are Trying to Conceive**
Best performed in the week leading up to your bleed.